As summer approaches, most of us prefer to spend more time outside and less time in the kitchen! The best summer meals are quick to prepare and include light and fresh ingredients.
Chef Daryl Cronk, Elderwood’s Regional Manager of Dining Services, offers this keto-friendly recipe for a steak and vegetable stir fry. Whether you’re following a low-carb diet or just looking for a light and healthy summer meal, this recipe offers a great mix of flavors.
This tasty dish cooks up quickly on your flat top griddle, wok or frying pan. Recipe yields 5-6 servings.
1 ½ pounds – Rib eye (raw, sliced thin)
½ – Yellow bell pepper (sliced thin)
½ – Red bell pepper (sliced thin)
½ – Orange bell pepper (sliced thin)
1 – Vidalia onion (sliced thin)
3 cups – Savoy cabbage (sliced thin)
1 – Portabella mushroom (sliced thin
2 tablespoons – Coconut oil
Salt and pepper – to taste
Granulated garlic – to taste
Marinade for Beef and Vegetables
2 tablespoons – Sesame oil
2 tablespoons – Red wine vinegar or rice vinegar
1 teaspoon – Garlic paste
1 tablespoon – Lime juice
1 teaspoon – Minced ginger
2 tablespoons – Soy sauce
Optional – 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- Keep beef and vegetables in separate bowls.
- Reserve the coconut oil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic for cooking.
- Marinate beef and vegetable with equal parts of the marinade.
- Heat your flat top grill or wok to a high heat.
- Melt the coconut oil and sauté the beef. Season with salt, pepper and garlic while cooking.
- Remove the fully cooked beef and reserve. Add a little extra coconut oil if needed and sauté the vegetables until tender.
- Taste the vegetables and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Portion the vegetables on the bottom and steak on top.
- Garnish with chopped scallions, sesame seeds or lime wedges.
Tip: Keep a cup of water handy. It helps steam the vegetables while cooking.
Serve and enjoy!